Sunday, July 22, 2007

Song History...My Rifle, My Pony and Me...

We ran across "My Rifle, My Pony and Me" while watching the 1959 John Wayne, classic western film, "Rio Bravo" on VHS! At that time (1995 or 1996) we didn't have access to the internet and couldn't find a western song book with the song written down, so we painstakingly listened to the song over and over again to get the words written down. Then I worked the music out on the keyboard and we added "My Rifle, My Pony and Me" to our repertoire!

The song was written by Dimitri Tiomkin and Paul Francis Webster and performed by Dean Martin & Rick Nelson with Walter Brennan playing the harmonica.

There is some controversy over the words, so what we sing is what we heard from listening to the VHS over and over again. We apologize now for any "miss wording or note changes" that may have occurred while writing it down. In the right hand column you will find a link to our version of "My Rifle, My Pony and Me". Click on "Rio Bravo" above to view the song sung by Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.

Artwork Copyright 2007 by Phyllis Mae Richardson Fisher (my mother!)

No comments: