Saturday, August 4, 2007

Song History...Walkin' After Midnight...

Walkin' After Midnight was written by Don Hecht and Alan Block, however it was not until 1957 that it was released after Patsy Cline used the song as her audition piece on the The Arthur Godfrey Show. She really didn't like the song and probably was surprised when she won the competition that night and the song rose to #2 on the country charts and #12 on the pop charts. When we first started sing this song, my father, George Harvey was singing lead, while TnT and I sang backup. It was not until we were singing in the "Wagon Wheel Room", out at the Terry Bison Ranch in Cheyenne, WY, that on a whim we changed parts. On the spur of the moment! I sang lead and played the keyboard, my dad added his awesome harmony with Travis and Tony singing backup and playing acoustic guitars.

We loved this room because the stage was only 3 inches tall and we were able to sing among the group that came in on a charter bus. We had a better rapport with the audience. That was the thing, we didn't feel separate from them. They sang along with us and added to a wonderful evening!
Song Lyrics Artwork Copyright 2007 by Phyllis Mae Richardson Fisher (my mother!)

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Love this song Janey. I've been line dancing for over 10 years. It's very popular here in England and we do a line dance to this song. It always makes me want to dance when I hear it!

Unknown said...

Thanks Naomi! I would love to learn to line dance, it sounds like so much fun!! Maybe when I move back to Texas I can fit line dancing into my schedule!!!