Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Song History...A String of Pearls...

Janey Loree plays A String of Pearls on the keyboard.

In researching the origin of this song I could not
find much that would give statistics on this song.
A String of Pearls was written by Eddie De Lange and Jerry Gray. I remember listening to "Big Band Music" on LP. The Glenn Miller Band's instrumental version of A String of Pearls was always one of my favorites.

Over at the guitarguy.com, I did find the words that

I can remember my mother reciting to me when we first
started working on this song!

Ba - by, here's a five and dime,
Ba - by, now's a - bout the time
For a string of pearls a - la Wool - worth.

Ev' - ry pearl's a star a - bove,
Wrapped in dreams, and filled with love --
That old string of pearls a - la Wool - worth.

Til that hap - py day in Spring
When you buy the wed - ding ring,
Please, a string of pearls a - la Wool - worth.

Ba - by you made quite a start,
Found the way right to my heart
With a string of pearls a - la Wool - worth.

Wait til the stars peek - a - boo,
I've got some - thing just for you --
It's a string of pearls a - la Wool - worth.

I found a love so sub - lime,
Right in that old five and dime
With a string of pearls a - la Wool - worth.

Artwork Copyright 2007 by Phyllis Mae Richardson Fisher (my mother!)

No comments: